After reflecting on these nine years of my husband working as an officer, I can sincerely say this list pretty much sums it up for me:
1.They look hot in uniform. They just do. But that uniform also makes them very hot (literally) and sweaty.
2.They (or at least mine) stays in shape.
3. I always feel safe..like he can kick anyone’s butt at anytime. It is sexy sleeping next to a trained shooter with combat skills.
4.The only other women he is around at work are female officers and prostitutes so not a whole lot of jealousy.
5.They actually get a lot of time off and paid for their overtime (this is a teacher talking).
- They work holidays, birthdays, game days and pretty much every other important day that matters to you. Forget plans and calendars.
- They leave your house with a gun and bullet proof vest. (The gun goes everywhere including and especially to church.)
- Their work gear and uniform seems to be everywhere and takes forever to put on correctly-I have seen guns and socks on the same kitchen counter (before kids). Another wife mentioned how loud Velcro can be (ha!!) and I would like to add how tricky those button covers are as well…little pieces just everywhere and always needing to be washed or dry cleaned.
- Deep nights means black out curtains and never being rested. Speaking of sleeping…night terrors are real. I have to be careful not to wake him suddenly because he could be dreaming of being attacked and someone is getting hit (I took night feedings). I have heard some helpless cries in his sleep wondering what is going on in his head-I just held him tighter.
- The stuff they see, hear and live every day is beyond me.
The Are you Serious?
- A good day at work involves a shooting or gruesome accident..a bad day is no calls and nothing happened…really????
- Due to today’s climate, I can’t post pics of him in uniform on FB, his social media name is concealed and changed and he pretty much does not want to be identified as an officer. He gets legit death threats on his life and the life of his family all because he does his job. Also, the current divorce rate of an officer is around 72% last I checked…does not surprise me–their job is not easy.
- When someone special comes into town like the president, that means a 12-16 hour workday without notice. This is also true of any major sporting event in our city. I know some may say 20 hour workdays are the norm for my husband..but in all that gear and hot uniform?
- His shift, station and duties can change at any time with or without notice and you just go with the flow. He literally comes home some days and says “for the next two months… I will be working at this this time etc.” You just get used to rearranging your schedule and going with the flow.
- He has to constantly live in fear of getting in trouble. If he is at the wrong place at the wrong time, it will be plastered all over the Internet. We always have a DD (that is smart anyway) and we choose our friends wisely. If you make a mistake, get ready to read about it because the consequences are on you and everyone will know.
I am sure this list will grow and change as the years go on, but any officer wife or husband to be fair can relate to this! We love our officers, but life with them ain’t easy–but so worth it!
The good news is: Officer wives are not weenies!